Testing is one of the most critical elements of IT business development. It allows you to ensure that the program or site works correctly, without errors and vulnerabilities. There are two main types of testing – manual and automatic. Their everyday use helps to identify problems as easily and quickly as possible; but it is necessary to coordinate the automated and manual testing for regular operation.
The Difference Between Manual and Automated Testing
There are currently two major types of testing:
- Automatic: It involves the use of special tools for analyzing program code.
- Manual: The specialist studies the program’s functionality and interface and finds errors in the program code by subtraction.
Each of these testing methods has its area of responsibility. So, getting certified, making sure that it performs well; and understanding how the product will behave in a hacker attack, automatic testing helps.
On the other hand, manual testing allows you to understand; how convenient the interface and functionality are for the average user whether the project fulfills its stated responsibilities.
Each of these testing methods is important because it allows you to identify possible errors. Therefore, develop and remain competitive. However, sharing them is pretty expensive. So many small projects are forced to choose, and this step may result in a loss of quality. TestFort can help you set up testing, identify potential errors, and recommend fixing them.
Also Check: Top Factors To Consider When Choosing Demand Planning Software
Why is There a Need for Coordination Between Manual and Automated Testing?
Joint manual and automated testing allow you to find all possible errors and quickly fix them. It is necessary to coordinate properly to be carried out efficiently, and the customer does not overpay. In addition, some companies order manual and automatic testing from different companies to save some money. In this case, you need a person who will control the work of both companies.
When setting up automatic testing, specialists try to ensure that the work takes place without human activity. However, there are times when you can set up automated testing manually:
- There is an urgent need for testing before the launch of a sale, for example.
- You don’t trust automated tools. Creating high-quality automatic testing software is challenging, so many engines do not cover all the necessary options.
- You don’t know what tasks manual and automated testing solutions are. It usually happens if different companies perform different types of testing.
As you can see, when testing, proper coordination allows you to make the work of the highest quality; but at the same time, it will help the customer not to overpay.
Also Check: Offshore Software Development – Why, How And When Should You Invest?
Tips for Managing Manual and Automated Tests Together
For automatic and manual testing to be of the highest quality, we suggest following these tips:
- Choose a person or group of people responsible for coordinating the work of the testers. The responsibilities of these workers will include; monitoring testing, leaving requests for the need for additional testing, and ensuring that possible problems are corrected.
- Strive for a balance between centralization and distribution. If you decide to use the services of several testers and different tools at once; then you need to centralize the results you get. If you applied to one company that performs manual and automated testing, you could delegate most of its responsibilities.
- Try to compare the results of the received results. In most cases, specialists do not have the opportunity to combine all test results into one metric. However, it is necessary to compare the results as much as possible; so that you can understand how eliminating one error can solve others.
- Be consistent in titles: When doing tests, make sure you use the same names. It will keep you from getting confused. In addition, if you are working in a team, you need to make sure that all specialists understand your conventions.
- Group tests: So, for example, if you desire to locate errors in the functionality; then you need to group manual and automatic types of testing, which should analyze the functionality.
- Think about who in your company is interested. When creating a test report; consider what aspects concern people interested in the result. You can use the results of previous studies if you need to compare the dynamics.
Also Check: Payroll Software on Cloud: Benefits & Uses
What to Do before Ordering Any Testing Service?
Before ordering software testing services; think about what goals you want to achieve and how often you plan to do tests. Optimally, do an entire course of testing before launching the project (the more profound the test, the better). Next, you need to do additional testing, depending on your changes. So, if you want to change the interface, you need to do manual and automatic testing when adding new modules. It’s also a good idea to rerun a full deep test before the holidays or other times; when you’re expecting more customers.
Also Check: Software QA and Testing For Software Development Services
What Problems can a Coordinator Face?
There are several problems that a person who coordinates manual and automated testing may encounter. Among the most common are:
- Both types of testing give too different objects;
- Different amounts of work performed by different types of testing may not provide a complete picture;
- Different time frames (manual testing takes many times longer);
- There are different approaches to the analysis of the results.
The specialist must develop a strategy for analyzing the results obtained. At first, it can be pretty tricky, but in the future; you will build up new data and compare it with previous results, which will simplify the analysis in the future.
Also Check: What Are The Important Considerations Of Salesforce Testing And Why to Choose It?
Many compare the coordination of manual and automated testing to the work of a conductor in an orchestra. A person, or a group of people involved in this kind of administration, must understand how a tester works; what tasks different testing vitae solve, and what specific results you want to achieve. It is also essential to process test results correctly and draw the correct conclusions. Usually, testers and a list of errors provide recommendations for their elimination. The coordinator must pass the offers to the programmers and monitor their implementation. Otherwise, the whole testing process has no value.
Also Check: Top 4 Advantages Of Automation In Supply Chain