Every year, numerous international students seek scholarship to study abroad opportunities. However, along with the massive benefits, studying abroad also comes with a high budget and tedious documentation processes. Fortunately, various scholarships, grants, and financial assistance are available to potential prospects worldwide – the trick is in how to find and lock them!
Scholarships V/S Grants
Before delving into how to get scholarships to study abroad, it is significant to understand the difference between grants and scholarships.
Generally, grants and scholarships are financial gift assistance, and students do not require to pay back the awarded money. However, grants are for needy students who can’t afford their study costs. In contrast, scholarships are for students who achieve exceptional academic results and have outstanding artistic or athletic abilities.
How to Get International Scholarships to Study Abroad in 2022?
When finding suitable scholarships, the official academic websites are the most authentic place to explore available scholarships. Several online educational portals also provide relevant information regarding open scholarships. Also, international students can contact academic administration via email for more info.
Prospects can also sign up on WooStudy, an AI-powered ed-tech marketplace that matches students to their perfectly-matched university/college within seconds. It is significant to know that some online resources help international aspirants to find suitable scholarships programs, such as:
- Scholarshipportal.com – The website offers 5000+ scholarship opportunities worldwide.
- Scholarships for Development – The website focus on giving info about financial assistance programs for needy students from underprivileged and developing countries.
- Official EU scholarship page – This website provides information about European scholarships.
- Scholarships.com – The website with more than 3.5 million grants and scholarships.
How Can International Students Apply for A Scholarship to Study Abroad?
The early-bird approach is essential when applying for scholarships or grants. After selecting the best-fit scholarship programs, international students should start compiling a list of pre-requisites. Generally, the scholarship application procedure includes the following steps:
Register for the selected scholarship program by completing an online application form.
Use your active email address to receive the confirmation email.
Write an impressive and original essay or personal statement. Plagiarized personal statements will black-list your application.
Attach scanned copies of proof of documents for academic, artistic, or athletic achievements. If required, translate the documents as well.
If applying for grants, attach a clear copy of proof of minimum income.
Submit the official acceptance letter or document proof issued from your university, as academic administration will not accept applications without confirmation from the relevant institution.
Once completed, proofread your application twice to avoid any errors and mistakes.
After submission of the application, wait for the results. University administration will soon reply to the selected candidates to complete other scholarship, admission, and travel requirements.
What Advantages Does an International Scholarship Offer?
Most international scholarships offer exceptional monetary benefits to students that include a range of covering basic tuition fees to complete housing and food costs. However, some scholarships provide limited funds for tuition fees, books, and other study materials, and international students have to bear accommodation and living costs abroad.
It is noteworthy for international prospects to read the terms and conditions thoroughly before applying for any international scholarships, grants, or financial aid because some academic or donor stipulations might make scholarships more like an investment option instead of gift money. Thus, keep a keen eye on the minor details to get outstanding advantages from international scholarships.
Types of International Scholarships
Check out these different types of international scholarships to study abroad and get the best fit for you.
- Merit-based Scholarships: As their name suggests, these scholarships get awarded to high achievers. To qualify for such scholarships, students must show academic excellence, such as good grades, a high CGPA, or talents like outstanding artistic skills or athletic abilities.
- Grants or Need-based Scholarships: These scholarships are specifically for international aspirants who are financially weak. Before awarding money, the grant provider will analyze the income of applicants or their guardians and evaluate the condition. Grants are distinct from merit-based scholarships as they cover tuition fees with accommodation and food.
- Athletic Scholarships: These scholarships are specific for top-notch athletes as many universities and colleges prefer athletes for recruitment. In the US, numerous scholarships are known for being awarded based on athletic performances.
- Program Specific Scholarships: These scholarships are for specific study programs like science, arts, information technology, or STEM-related fields. Field-specific scholarships are for higher degree levels, such as bachelor’s or master’s degrees.
- Scholarships for Minorities: These scholarships are for minority groups to offer them equal access to education. Most colleges and universities proffer such scholarships to marginalized group members, including; women, ethnic or racial minorities, and LGBTQ community members.
Also Check: How To Get A Debt-Free College Education?
Being an international prospect, you should take away the following points from this article:
Scholarships are a monetary gift aid — prospects do not need to pay back that money.
The scholarship application process involves signing up, writing a personal statement or essay, attaching official academic documents, proof of enrolment, a letter of acceptance, etc.
Various resources and platforms are available to find international scholarship programs.
Some common types of scholarships are merit-based, grants (need-based), minority-based, athletic-based, etc.
Therefore, don’t delay any further and apply for suitable scholarship programs to get a chance to study abroad at minimal or no cost.
Author Bio: Maliha Safiullah is a Former Correspondent for 60 Minutes, Channel Nine Australia, and is a published writer, having worked as a Feature Writer for Dawn News, Pakistan.