Moving into your new house is an exciting time. It’s a good idea to take some time to prepare before you move in. You can do this by contacting your utility companies, setting up internet and phone service, and getting any packages sent to your new home address. There are also lots of things that you should do before moving into a new house so that it stays nice for years to come!
9 Most Essential Things To Do Before Moving Into Your New House
Check the utilities well
Before you move in, it’s a good idea to check that all the utilities are working. That means checking that you have access to the internet, water, electricity, heating unit, air conditioning and gas are working. You also want to make sure that your refrigerator works.
If something isn’t right with any of those things, it can be pretty stressful when you’re trying to set up your new house for the first time. Specially, if there’s no one around who knows how to fix them!
Change the locks
Changing the locks is one of the easiest and most important things you can do before moving into your new house. This step will keep out unwanted guests and make sure that no one has access to your property until you’re ready for them to have it.
You should remember that whoever owns the house before you, even an estate agent or realtor, will probably have a key to every lock in place on your new place (even if they don’t rent out). That means one day when they come back with friends or family members who need access to the roof, say hello!
And remember: even though this might seem like a minor detail at first glance, there are still some things worth keeping in mind before making any changes here. Ensure all old keys are accounted for so as not to lock yourself out accidentally. Also, try not to forget about giving those keys back once everything has been changed over successfully.
Take photos of your furniture
- Take photos of furniture, appliances, accessories, and anything else you’re planning on moving into your new home.
- You should take high-quality photos of each room from all angles using a digital camera or smartphone to take.
- Save these images on your computer or to cloud storage. So you can easily access them when it comes time for the move.
Take photographs of all rooms
There are many reasons why you should take photos of all rooms in your new house before moving in.
- You can use them as a reference later on if you want to paint the walls or add furniture.
- If you need to rent out the house, these photos will help potential tenants envision what it would look like when they move in.
- It’s also useful for insurance purposes, significantly if something gets damaged during the move-in process and needs repair or replacement.
Also Check: Moving Tips: How To Pack Fragile Items?
Use dimmers in every room
When you’re moving into your new house, there are some things you could do to make sure that it’s safe for you and your family. You must have dimmers installed in every room. You can use dimmers for both energy efficiency and mood lighting. Instead of leaving lights on all day (which can cause electricity bills and other problems), try using dimmers instead! They’ll give off just enough light so that people can see where they’re going. But not so much that they feel overwhelmed by brightness or glare from lights off in corners of rooms that you aren’t using at any given moment.
Also Check: How much does cleaning cost when we move out?
Put timers on lights
This may seem like an odd suggestion if you’re new to living in a house. But it’s actually a very good one! If you put timers on your lights, you’ll save lots of electricity and money.
Give the house a thorough cleaning
- Clean the bathroom: What’s the point of moving into a new house if you’re going to be living in filth? Take time to give your bathroom a good scrub down. Further, ensure you don’t leave any stray hairs or dirt behind when it’s all said and done!
- Clean the kitchen: This is one of those things that you overlook easily if you’re moving to into your new house. So, remember that this is where you will cook many meals for years to come (and there’s no point in eating bad food). A thorough cleaning of your kitchen will help ensure everything looks clean and fresh once everything is unpacked, especially around areas like sinks and countertops.
- Clean the bedroom: Clean each bedroom thoroughly before moving into them permanently so they look inviting when guests visit or family members stay over for a while after moving day has passed by without incident.
- Call professionals for help: When moving into a new house, it’s best to call in professionals like Crystal Maids to take care of everything. You will save a lot of your time and have a really clean house where you only need to arrange your beautiful furniture.
Set your thermostat to an energy-saving temperature
The thermostat is one of the essential things to set before moving into your new home. Setting it too high or too low will result in an uncomfortable living environment and possibly even wasting energy. The best way to set the thermostat is to do so at a temperature you can tolerate. But won’t tempt you to change it all day long. This will ensure your house stays at a reasonable temperature without being too hot or cold for extended periods. This can save money on heating bills!
These tasks will make your moving transition much easier
You should undertake specific tasks before you move into your new home. These include:
- Making sure all the appliances, fixtures, and other items have been removed from the property.
- Making sure that all job site materials (concrete forms, lumber, plywood) have been removed from the yard.
- Cleaning up any debris left by landscapers or others who may have used your property during construction.
Moving into your new house is exciting, but it can also be a bit intimidating. If you remember to do these things before moving day into a your new house, you’ll be ready for anything!