The ability to choose goals is an essential quality for a businessperson. The goal becomes the engine, the path to success. Right, this only works if you set the target correctly. In our article, it is necessary that arouse not only the imagination but also forced to act about how to set goals for business.
What business goals and objectives should be set?
New goals and objectives are integral to a growing business. Eventually, you reach your highest point, and you have to change something. Just like if you start your email marketing agency, you won’t go a long way if you set smart goals. Therefore, it is essential to prioritize, to understand what you need. To arrange a business goal is to carry out work in one of the following areas:
Going to break even, and then to specific volumes of profit, is the primary goal of the business. Keep track of sales and production costs. However, the goals of profitability cannot be made unique – in the long term, the image of the company, personnel, and relations with partners matter for the business. Sometimes for the sake of this, you can donate part of the profit.
A high level of productivity is achieved through staff training and excellent technical equipment. Employees of your company should have skills that allow you to not only perform their tasks but to do it quickly and accurately. It is necessary to conduct training, improve skills continually. Personnel equipment must be replaced or repaired on time. Disruption of deliveries due to a spoiled machine at the wrong time is an unfortunate incident. Poorly functioning “nodes” must be replaced – this applies to both employees and equipment.
The customer must be satisfied. Excellent service makes the casual visitor a regular visitor, which means they increase profits. Remember courtesy and try to do a little more than the customer expects. Such a WOW effect always makes a good impression.
Retention of employees
The constant staff turnover does not bring the company anything good. Even an experienced specialist needs time to adapt to the working conditions. During such an adaptation, employee productivity is low. Therefore, it is crucial that your employees stay with you. Use incentive measures – bonuses, extra days off, promotion on a career ladder.
The company’s mission, its views, and values need to broadcast both externally and internally. If you are talking about the importance of time, then prove it – optimize the work of employees, customer service, and so on. It is necessary to convey the values of the company to the staff “permeate” each employee with corporate culture. Each of your employees is the face of your brand. Therefore, the company’s values must reflect in the employees at work and in everyday life.
How to set goals for the business?
If dreams can be abstract and airy, then goal setting must be approached systematically. There is a SMART technology that simplifies the definition of a goal, sets acceptable deadlines for achieving it, divides it into subtasks, and develops an execution order. According to SMART, the right goals have the following criteria:
The goal and ways to achieve it should be as detailed as possible.
When setting goals in business, ask yourself questions:
- What result do I need and why?
- And, what will change after reaching the goal?
- What conditions are necessary to achieve a result?
- Wrong: “I want to earn more.”
- Correctly: “I want to increase the company’s revenue to million dollars of net profit every month for the year.”
The result you are striving for must be measurable. It is useful when the goal itself is quantitative – for example, to open two additional offices or have 10,000 Instagram followers. Otherwise, it is necessary to formulate the criteria for determining the result. You should ask yourself questions:
- When can it be considered that the goal has been achieved?
- What indicator can be applied to the goal?
- What value should this indicator have when achieving a result?
- Wrong: “I want to be famous.”
- Correctly: “I want to have 100,000 subscribers on my channel.”
An unrealistic goal affects motivation. If you know that it is impossible to achieve a result, you will not make efforts. Determining the attainability of a goal is necessary based on their skills and resources. Answers to questions will help:
- Will I have enough resources to achieve this goal?
- What should be the minimum skills to work on this?
- Did anyone do this before me? And if so, how did he do it?
- Wrong: “I want to create my state.”
- Correctly: “I want to create my own IT company.”
Goals must be meaningful to you and your company. They should not be dummies. Achieving a goal in business becomes a turning point that takes you to a new level.
- What happens when you reach the goal?
- How will achieving the goal affect my business and me?
- Is this result significant in the end?
- Wrong: “I want to buy a car to show off to my friends.”
- Correctly: “I want to buy a car to manage to drive to customers and production.”
If you do not set a specific deadline for achieving the desired result, then you will postpone all work on it. The goal must be for a particular time. At the same time, the execution time should be reasonable. You can not achieve the goal if you put a little time on its implementation.
- How quickly can I reach my goal, given my resources and skills?
- Are there any obstacles that will increase the period for achieving the result?
- Is there anything that can help you get the job done faster?
- Wrong: “I want to increase our site’s views by two times in a week.”
- That’s right: “I want to increase our site’s views by two times in half a year.”
Adjustment of goals and objectives
Adjusting development plans is just as important as setting goals in business. The challenges facing the business go through a continuous update cycle. Some goals successfully close, others lose priority over time. Unforeseen circumstances sometimes interfere – the market situation changes, the equipment fails, and the supplier stops cooperation. Then adjust needed urgently.
Any change in plans rests on analysis. Evaluate how you managed to achieve the set results for the prior period. Perhaps the bar is raised too high. On the other hand, vice versa, the goal was straightforward and did not give you development. Analysis data will be the basis of your future planning.
The next stage is an assessment of the circumstances that hindered or contributed to the achievement of the result. At the very start, it is almost impossible to take all the factors that interfere with the work. After several months, you will notice the “pitfalls” and gain experience to adjust goals.
Finally, when set goals for your business, it is worth considering the changing priorities. It applies to the preferences of both the company and the leader. Perhaps you “burned out” or vice versa caught fire with a new idea. That does not mean that the business needs to be quit immediately, but sometimes you can entrust more control to the staff.